The Character of Home®

Timeline

1870-1926

1870 Sawney Webb began teaching in the basement of a Methodist Church in Culleoka
1886 The school moved to Bell Buckle
1892 Two Webb students helped to form the Princeton University Honor Code
1905

Princeton's President, Woodrow Wilson visited Bell Buckle Nov. 27, 1905

1913

Sawney was elected to the U.S. Senate to complete the unexpired term of Robert L. Taylor

1920 A Board of Trustees and an Alumni Association were formed in 1920
1926

A new administration building and John Webb Library were built

 

1950s-1960s

1951

A new "Big Room" was completed

1952

Webb ceased off-campus boarding and began a dormitory system

1952-1963

Buildings constructed include the Haun-Ragland Gym, Rand Dormitory, Grace Follin Dining Hall, Bradley AV Center and faculty homes on Turtle Circle

1965 The G. Webb Follin Administration Building with Chapel were built

 

1970s-1990s

1970 Webb began an official day student program
1981 Cooper-Farris & Austin Davis dormitories and Davis-Woosley Science Center were constructed
1993 The student body moved every book by hand into the beautiful new William Bond Library

 

2002-2010

2002 Webb's Athletic program added Imre Lagler Athletic field and the Barton Athletic Center
2007

The Haun-Ragland Gym was renovated to include Lundin Fine Arts Center

2010

Ray Broadhead named Head of School

2010

Board of Trustees to pursue a $10 million campaign – “Moving Our Tradition Forward”

 

2011-2013

2011

After nearly 50 years Football returns to Webb; school joined 8-Man Football League

2012 Varsity boys' lacrosse team won the state championship
2012

Margaret G. Turner House faculty residence construction began at Cooper-Farris Dorm

2012

Lights installed on Lagler Field and first game played under the lights

2012

Board of Trustees approved 2012-2017 Strategic Plan

2013

Margaret G. Turner House dedicated and Math and Science Building groundbreaking held

2013 2012-2013 Webb Fund reached $566,383
2013 Webb partnered with the Middle Tennessee State University Confucius Institute to offer Mandarin Chinese in addition to Latin, French and Spanish
2013

Webb's first Cheerleading team debuts with 18 members      

2013 Football team wins MTAC championship

 

2014-2016

2014

McClurg Hall (math and science building) dedicated

2014

E.E. Ford Foundation Grant received – 6th grant from Foundation

2014

Residential Village (two dorms and a student center) groundbreaking held

2016

The inaugural Belles and Buckles Gala (previously the WSPA Auction) was sponsored by the Webb School Parents’ Association, with proceeds providing faculty/staff bonuses and campus improvements

2016 Residential Village (Wendel Haynes Hall and Meadows Hall, Dorothy Elkins Student Center)
2016

The G. Webb Follin, Jr. Chair of English was presented to Jacquelyn Boyanton, English Department chair, and Raymond Pryor, director of technology, was recognized as the W. Bryant Woosley, Sr. Chair of Technology (originally announced in 1999)

 

2017-2018

2017

The Wilson “Woody” Sims Chair in Foreign Language presented for the first time to Moira Smith, Department of Foreign Language chair

2017

Former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales was featured in the Follin Speaker Series

2017

Webb 150 planning committee was named and began work

2018

2018 – MS girls’ basketball team won MTAC championship

2018

2018 – Keon Johnson ’20 was named TSSAA Div. II Mr. Basketball

2018

2018 – Webb’s largest class of 67 seniors graduated

2018

2018 – Follin Chapel was upgraded, composite refurbishing and display project completed

 

2019

2019

Keon Johnson ’20 was named TSSAA Div. II Mr. Basketball for the second consecutive year

2019 Webb Family Reunion hosted on campus to help kick off 150th Anniversary
2019

Kick off of 150th Anniversary Celebration, 2019-2020 first day of class and student, faculty and staff drone photo

2019 First TSSAA 11-man football game at Lagler Field
2019  
2019  
2019  
2019  

 

Founded in 1870

The Webb School was founded in 1870 at Culleoka, Maury County, Tenn., by William Robert Webb, known affectionately to thousands as "Old Sawney."

"Sawney" Webb made an indelible mark on many areas of life. He was active in educational, political, religious, social, and community affairs.

Read more