One of the many advantages of attending The Webb School is the personalized attention students will experience when working with College Counseling. Two full-time members of the college counseling team will be on hand to guide students and their family through the college search, application, and decision processes. With almost 30 years of combined experience in college and secondary school admission and enrollment management, Mr. Bridwell and Ms. Newberg will focus on the student’s passions and desires while keeping in mind the family’s needs and requirements. In-depth college counseling will begin in ninth grade and prepare families for the excitement of the college discernment process, while keeping student fit and expectations as the focal point.
The college counselors at Webb will place the student in the driver’s seat with the parents and college counselors playing the roles of navigator and guidance. And while many Webb graduates attend super selective colleges across the country each year, College Counseling is also prepared to assist with admission to regional universities with outstanding academics that offer greater financial support.
- Meet the Team
- School Profile
- Information for College Visitors
- Teacher Resources
- Monthly Newsletters
Chadd Bridwell is originally from the rural Texas Panhandle and received his BBA at Midwestern State University (Texas) and his MLA from Southern Methodist University (Texas). Prior to Webb, he spent nearly 20 years in admission and enrollment management at several Texas universities such as Midwestern State University, Southern Methodist University, St. Mary's University, and Texas Wesleyan University. He also spent time with the College Board as well as the National Research Center for College and University Admission - now part of ACT. Bridwell currently serves as Director of College Counseling at the Webb School.
Jamie Newberg, assistant director of college counseling, is originally from Ohio and has lived in Tennessee for 14 years. She received her B.S. in Business Administration and M.S. in School Counseling from Lee University (TN). Jamie has more than 5 years of experience working in school counseling in the private and public sectors. Along with her school counseling experience she has had experience in mental health counseling providing in-home counseling and crisis counseling. Though she serves in many capacities at Webb her favorite role is as the Assistant Director of College Counseling.
Steps to success
Starting in the freshman year, Webb students will be introduced to college counselors and invited to participate in college planning activities. A series of timely events, sessions and communications will ensure students and families are aware of important tasks, deadlines and events. With May 1 of the senior year as the finish line, College Counseling will interact in all upper school grade levels to win the race and find the right college fit.
- Introduction to YouScience and Assessments
- Complete the PreACT
- Figure out how you want to be involved at Webb and in the community
- Assessments in YouScience
- Introduction to Naviance, complete the Learning Styles Inventory and the Do What You Are assessment
- Complete the PSAT/NMSQT
- Find the right balance of extracurriculars that you are passionate about to enhance your college applications
- Attend Webb’s College Fair
- Complete the Strengths Finder assessment in Naviance
- Programming with YouScience
- Complete the PSAT/NMSQT
- Complete the SAT and/or ACT in the Spring
- Identify interests and priorities to start your college list
- Attend Webb’s College Fair and other local college-related events
- Meet with college representatives as they visit Webb
- Request letters of recommendation from your favorite teachers
- Register with NCAA / NAIA eligibility centers
- Research colleges that match your interests with Supermatch in Naviance and other college search engines
- Visit a variety of colleges to determine your preferences
- Draft several college essays
- Complete the SAT and/or ACT
- Visit your final list of colleges
- Finalize your college application list
- Finalize your college essays
- Complete the college application processes
- Complete the CSS Profile and FAFSA Applications. Note: Applications opens Oct. 1
- National College Decision Day is May 1
- Withdraw applications and other admission decisions from those schools you are not attending
- Complete all necessary applications for you confirmed school. (Housing, Orientation Registration, last-minute financials with the Financial Aid and Bursar’s offices)
Directions to College Counseling Office
You’ll find we love showcasing The Webb School in historic Bell Buckle, Tennessee. You’ll also find that we’re not your typical school visit as demonstrated by our hospitality and location. Webb School is located just an hour from downtown Nashville and one and one-half hours from downtown Chattanooga.
Physical Address: 319 Webb Rd. East, Bell Buckle, TN 37020
College Counseling is located in the William Bond Library, near the intersection of Turtle Circle and Highway 82. The William Bond Library is indicated by “Wit, Wisdom, and Discipline” at the entryway.
RepVisits - Schedule your visit
You may schedule your campus visit by using RepVisit or by contacting Chadd Bridwell at firstname.lastname@example.org. Campus visits are scheduled in the William Bond Library Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. CT to 3:00 p.m. CT.
Scholarship Search Engines
College/University Specific Scholarships
Jack Kent Cooke Foundation - College Scholarship Program - Application opens August 1, 2019
Youth Scholarships, Veterans of Foreign Wars - Oct. 31 deadline
Forms and Documents
- Selecting A College - Engagement Matters: A College Planning Checklist - Gallup-Purdue
- Student Handbook
- Family Partnership Agreement
- Teacher's Recommendation Form
- 2019 Senior Trek
- Tips for Meeting with College Reps
- Transcript Request Form
- Sample Athletic Recruitment
- NACAC 2019 College Fair
Summer Programs, Internships, and Study Abroad
- Global Navigator, High School Study Abroad
- Summer, group college tours sponsored by College Visit
- Summer Session at the University of Chicago
- 2020 Summer Programs List
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid - https://fafsa.ed.gov/
- 2020 TELS Summary Form
- College Board Profile, https://cssprofile.
- Gap Year Association - http://gapyearassociation.org/
- ACT / SAT Concordance - act.org/concordance and collegeboard.org/concordance.
- Free To Roam Adventures - http://freetoroamadventures.
- FastWeb - http://www.fastweb.com/
- Cappex - https://www.cappex.com/
- Fin Aid! - http://www.finaid.org/
- Tennessee Promise - http://tnpromise.gov/
- TN Promise tnAchieves Checklist
- TN Promise Eligible Institutions
- Scholarship Scams - http://www.finaid.org/
- 10 Tips to Get a Scholarship for College
- How to Write a Scholarship Essay
- Sallie Mae College Planning
- Sallie - Paying for College Resource