The private boarding/day school education at Webb focuses on the whole student. Our rigorous college preparatory programs offer the opportunities and support that ready students for a successful college career. Webb students become accountable to themselves for their performance inside and out of the classroom. In our small boarding school environment students learn the pride of hard work and the patience necessary to accomplish tasks. They gain the confidence to express themselves through writing and public speaking. Ultimately, Webb students become accountable to themselves for their successes in and out of the classroom.
|10||Average class size|
|74%||of faculty possess advanced degrees|
|15||States represented in the student body|
|17||Countries represented in the student body|
|23||AP courses offered|
|247||AP exams taken in 2016-2017 by Webb students|
|94%||of students taking AP exams achieved a score eligible to receive college credit|
Writing across the curriculum and public speaking are major emphases at The Webb School. Through our Emerging Voices Program, students learn to create original ideas, assemble a body of research, and communicate those ideas effectively through writing and public speaking. Students showcase their skills each year by performing declamations, orations, performance creations and senior paper presentations. These exhibitions are developed and completed under the mentorship of the students' advisors and other members of the community. Our goal is to create confident contributors in the classroom and beyond.
- Emerging Voices Program Description
Academics at Webb are challenging and engaging. We strive for our students to be inspired by their passions and motivated to be the best that they can be. There are AP and honors courses, as well as unique electives offered within each discipline. We know that our graduates are true global citizens who are not only prepared for college, but also eager to make a difference in the world.
Our 23 AP courses fall within the following areas:
- Ruth Cordell - The skill of careful and attentive listening
- Dr. Molly Barger - Travel is a thousand “ah-ha” moments packed into every single day
- Larry Foulk - Higher calling associated with any classroom lesson
- Aimee Hoover - Clubs, other opportunities help develop “whole” student
- Hannah Byrd Little - Social media and teens
- Adam Feldbruegge - Value mistakes because they lead to further discovery
- Janet Linton - Importance of music education touted
- Jonathan Chicken - What student appreciates about taking AP U.S. History
- Ray Broadhead - Guidance for social media posting
- Lea Anne Windham - Research makes for exciting time in math education
- Ruth Cordell - Life hacks
- Jason Simpson - Taking a group of students to France!
- Effie O'Neil - Algebra II landscape projects
- Susan Mullen - What makes a music teacher great?
Our teachers have a profound impact on our students and therefore our school culture, the greater community-and ultimately the nation. We depend on their expertise in choosing curriculum and leading our students towards success. What inspires them? Find out in our blog! Each week they share fantastic TED talks, books, interviews, and articles of interest to serve as a resource for parents, while demonstrating the philosophies and priorities of The Webb School.
- James Garcia - Importance of cultivating curiosity in the classroom
- Tabetha Sullens - Skills necessary for Middle School
- Son Will Society - Five Helpful Tips for Boarding Life
- Jacquelyn Boyanton - 7 Benefits of Reading Literary Fiction You May Not Know
- Ruth Cordell - Musings from the Black Box Theatre
- Tabetha Sullens - Yoga example of benefits clubs offer
- Aimee Hoover - Films teach empathy
- Larry Nichols - Impact of smartphones and social media on young teens
- Carmen Greenberg - Every gift makes a difference!
- Dr. Leone Broadhead - Cell's chaperones
- Mike Quinn - "The fundamental things we aren’t teaching our kids"
- Dr. Molly Barger - Changing literacy of today's world
- Neil Barrett - "From pencils to pixels..."
- Aimee Hoover - Nurturing a spirit of gratitude
- Scott Dorsett, CMMA - Developing Leaders
- Tabetha Sullens - Key to exam success
“Webb offers a rigorous academic curriculum that I believe has truly helped to prepare me for college. Although courses can often be quite challenging, I find that the teachers are very understanding and supportive, and they are always willing to help.”
Chelsea Ilarde, Class of 2017