Students gain skills needed to take trips into the wilderness and build confidence to lead others on adventures as part of Webb's unique Outdoor Program. Classroom instruction and outdoor trips combine to provide students hands-on experience. Many students develop a love of nature and the outdoors at Webb and make it a lifelong passion.
Along with weekend group trips throughout the year, Winter Freeze and Spring Break adventures test students’ skills. Senior Survival, a weeklong backpacking trip ending the day before graduation, is the final bonding experience for each class that makes lasting memories.
Wilderness Instruction and Leadership Development or W.I.L.D. is an exciting program that combines the classroom with the outdoors. W.I.L.D. is an academic class that includes book discussions about camping and leadership. The class also uses experience gained from the outdoors and Outerlimits activities such as camping, canoeing, backpacking, rock climbing, and multiple others to teach the skills needed to attend and to lead trips into the wilderness.
Through instruction in class, on trips, and in different workshops, W.I.LD. members gain skills needed to take trips into the wilderness. These skills include planning, packing and carrying equipment from single day trips to multi-day trips, using outdoor equipment, building campfires, and using stoves to cook in the outdoors. Some of the workshops the class will attend are Wilderness First- Aid and Ropes course Safety and Operation.
- Aug. 26 - Hiwassee River - Kayaking Day Trip
- Sept. 16 - Cartecay River - Kayaking Day Trip
- Sept. 17 - Duck River - Canoeing Day Trip
- Sept. 29-30 - Walls of Jericho - Backpacking Overnight Trip
- Oct. 7-10 - Virginia Highlands - A.T. - Backpacking 4-Day Trip
- Oct. 14-15 - Fall Creek Falls - Backpacking Overnight Trip
- Oct. 20-21 - King's Bluff - Rock Climbing Overnight Trip
- Oct. 22 - Duck River - Canoeing Day Trip
- Nov. 3-4 - King's Bluff - Rock Climbing Overnight Trip
- Nov. 10-11 - Laurel Snow - Backing Overnight Trip
- Nov. 18-21 - Max Patch - Backpacking 4-Day Trip
- Dec. 2 - Indian Gravepoint - Caving Day Trip
- Dec. 15-18 - Joyce Kilmer - Backing 4-Day Trip
"Webb's WILD program has taught me a great deal about working together, the role of leadership, and 'followership', the value of working toward a common goal and the importance of the unique attributes each individual brings to the team. Through WILD I have learned about my strengths and weaknesses and how persistence and pushing though self imposed limitations can bring success in the most challenging situations. Challenging myself and bouncing back from setbacks with confidence have been valuable lessons I have learned in wild."
Max Greenberg '18